Have you hit a plateau? Well power walking might be just what you need.
Power walking can get you past that plateau. Just increasing your walking speed can help get your metabolism moving to help move the scales in the right direction.
If you haven’t walked for exercise before here are some easy to follow tips to help you get started.
- Make sure you have comfortable shoes with good support, good cushioning in the heel and space in the front so your big toe doesn’t hit the front of the shoe.
- Set goals. Start out a an easy pace and increase you speed and length of time in 10 to 15 minute increments.
- Always start with a warm-up for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Walk at least 6 days a week.
- If you are new to walking, try for 20 – 30 minutes a session.
- When you are more advanced bump it up to 45-60 minutes a session.
- Always look up, don’t look at the ground, watch your posture and walk normally.
- If you prefer start with interval walking. Walk your normal pace and then increase for a minute or two every 5 to 10 minutes. Or if you walk where there are blocks, alternate your speed on every other block.
- Always do a cool-down.